Note: The following is extracted from the original instruction from Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan to his mureeds concerning the daily purification breath practices and an original teaching on purification itself. It comes from the archives of Ziraat Germany from our brother and European Coordinator, Firoz Holterman ten Hove.
Please read this paper before doing this practice, and ask your guide if this practice is appropriate for you to do.
This exercise must be done without noise or apparent movement in the breathing. The finest substance in the air, the essence, ether or Prana, only is inhaled. The rhythm becomes slower and slower every succeeding three months. The ideal times for this exercise are, from an occult point of view, sunrise and sunset. This exercise should be done standing, preferably outdoors or before an open window.
• 5 breaths in and out through the nose
• 5 breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth
• 5 breaths in through the mouth and out through the nose
• 5 breaths in and out through the mouth
1. During the first three months, the twenty breaths should be felt to reach the heart;
2. during the second three months, the breaths should be felt to reach the navel;
3. during the third three months, the breaths should be felt to reach the abdominal region; and
4. during the last three months, the breaths should be felt to reach the base of the spine.
5. The last manner of breathing should be continued during the second year.